Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259350.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 15:30:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North East Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 36107 65792



1264- /6/10014 Manor House Farmhouse

- II

Former farmhouse, most recently public house, undergoing refurbishment as a dwelling at the time of inspection (01/97). Dated 1669, altered and enlarged in early C18, with further additions and alterations in C19 and C20. Coursed, squared Coal Measures sandstone rubble, with gritstone dressings and quoins. Ashlar chimneys to 3 gables, and one external stack to centre of rear wall. Stone slates to 3 roof slopes, concrete slates to front slope. Double depth plan of 2 phases. FRONT ELEVATION (south): 2 storeys, 2 bays, with C17 window surrounds to former chamfer-mullioned windows to ground and first floors of end bays. Present central doorway enclosed by projecting single storey wing, built of artificial stone and not of special interest. SIDE ELEVATION (west) with double gables, coped with kneelers to the outer slopes. Left gable with surround to former first floor chamfer-mullioned window beneath hood mould which forms part of continuous string course extending across the right-hand gable. Above a datestone which reads 'S.S. 1669'. Altered window opening to ground floor with C20 frame. Blocked inserted doorway to right. Right-hand gable with unbonded butt joint against quoins of left gable. Single C17 to left side of ground floor. REAR ELEVATION (north) with centrally-placed external stone stack rising from chamfered plinth. Lower masonry C17, that above eaves level C19 ashlar. Within disturbed masonry to right, stacked 2-light chamfer-mullioned windows, the lower opening now blocked. Inserted opening to left side first floor with C19 horizontally-sliding sash. SIDE ELEVATION (east) with C19 single storey addition to front gable, possibly originally a dairy. INTERIOR: ground floor to front range with substantial chamfered spine beams and exposed joists throughout. West room has large C18 hearth to gable wall with massive lintel supported on jowelled jambs. East room with projecting hearth breast set beneath bressumer beam, and now with C20 surround. Curved bar settle with high back as baffle partition to present entry. Rear range with C20 bar counter to east room, and with servery openings in partition to serve the west room. Substantial spine beams to both rooms. First floor to rear range with inserted or replacement ceiling beams and joists. Above, C17 single purlin roof, with wind braces and 3 pegged collar and tie beam trusses, the outer trusses set close to the masonry of the gables. Front range with plainer roof timbering, without trusses, the purlins bearing upon masonry walling. Blocked single light C17 window exposed in west range rear wall with diamond pattern leaded light and saddle bars.

Listing NGR: SK3610765792


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/15854/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Wolfe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].