CASTLE MILLS LOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259357

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: CASTLE MILLS LOCK, CASTLE MILLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE MILLS LOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 15:15:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CASTLE MILLS LOCK, CASTLE MILLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60605 51279

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051SE CASTLE MILLS 1112-1/22/128 (South side (off)) Castle Mills Lock

II

Canal lock chamber. Rebuilt in 1889. Gritstone with some concrete repair. Near the centre of the chamber there are recesses in each side wall, with grooves for stop planks. The double timber gates are a C20 renewal, but C19 cast-iron winding and paddle gear remains. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Foss Navigation Act was passed in 1793, and the canal was opened as far as Strensall in c1796. In 1859 York Corporation gained an Act to abandon the Foss Navigation except for just over one mile in York. In 1889 the Corporation rebuilt Castle Mills lock for Henry Leetham and Sons, flour millers, to take steam keels 97' x 18'6" carrying 230 tons. (Paget-Tomlinson EW: The Complete Book of Canal and River Navigations: Wolverhampton: 1978-: 126).



Listing NGR: SE6060551279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462989

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Paget Tomlinson, W , The Complete Book of Canal and River Navigations, (1978), 126

End of official listing