INGRAM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1259395

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: INGRAM HOUSE, 90, BOOTHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of INGRAM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 19:37:06.

Location

Statutory Address: INGRAM HOUSE, 90, BOOTHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59776 52530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952NE BOOTHAM 1112-1/7/97 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.90 Ingram House

GV II*

Almshouses, now flats. 1630-32 with re-set C12 archway; extensive repairs in 1649; altered 1958. Narrow red brick in English bond with limestone ashlar plinth and dressings of painted stone and render. Plain tiled roof. EXTERIOR: almost symmetrical, with a central one-bay 4-storey tower and with 2-storey ranges to left and right, each with 5 houses of one bay each. The left-hand range has a doorway to the left of each ground-floor window, and the right-hand range has the doorways to the right. Above the ground floor there is a painted moulded string course. The windows have 2 leaded casement lights and surrounds of painted render. The ground-floor windows have external timber shutters and the 1st floor surrounds are rebated and chamfered. The doorways have chamfered surrounds with false 4-centred heads. The central tower has a ground-floor window to the left of the doorway, and a smaller square 1st floor window. The re-set doorway is of limestone and has a round arch of 2 orders with a label, all enriched with nail-head ornament. The tower roof is hidden by a parapet with coping, and chimneys rise at all 4 corners. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records that most of the C17 internal fittings were removed c1958 when converted to flats. HISTORICAL NOTE: built by Sir Arthur Ingram of York, who died in 1640. Badly damaged in the siege of York. The archway came from the demolished part of Holy Trinity Priory church, Micklegate, and was incorporated in the almshouses when they were first built. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 49).



Listing NGR: SE5977652530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462941

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 49

End of official listing