BRINTONS CARPET WORKS BRINTONS MAIN OFFICE BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259401
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
BRINTONS CARPET WORKS, EXCHANGE STREET
Statutory Address:
BRINTONS MAIN OFFICE BUILDING, EXCHANGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRINTONS CARPET WORKS
BRINTONS MAIN OFFICE BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259401.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 08:10:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRINTONS CARPET WORKS, EXCHANGE STREET
Statutory Address:
BRINTONS MAIN OFFICE BUILDING, EXCHANGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wyre Forest (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 83139 76515

Details

KIDDERMINSTER

SO 8376 EXCHANGE STREET (North West side)

954-0/1/10007 Brintons Carpet Works Brintons Main Office building

GV II

Factory offices. Dated 1876, built for Brintons carpet manufacturers; extended 1926. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate hipped roof behind parapet. PLAN: Large rectangular plan building with rounded corners to east, the south east with main entrance; extended by a further 15 bays to the west in 1926. Italianate style. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. Original building has 7-bay east elevation and 9-bay south elevation, with rounded corners to the east and superimposed pilasters, stone cornices and strings, ground floor windows with panelled aprons over moulded plinth and with frieze above with company name inscribed; large moulded stone eaves cornice and blocking course; double recessed windows with cambered stone arches with keyblocks and sash windows without glazing bars. On the south east corner a round-headed doorway with recessed pilasters, curved panelled double doors and fanlight with large keyblock supporting balustrade above to first floor window; modillion cornice at corner and small stone gable above with date 1876, monogram and carved figure in shaped panel above. The south elevation has 15-bay extension on left in similar style, with small stone gable on right and carriageway at centre. At rear, north, C20 3-storey extension with large windows between brick pilasters. INTERIOR: Small circular entrance vestibule with domed ceiling. Mahogany main staircase. Boardroom said to contain circa 1926 panelling and interior generally altered. NOTE: In 1830 Henry Brinton, a carpet manufacturer who had premises all over Kidderminster, acquired the works of Joseph Bowyer, which formed the nucleus from which the present works grew. Brintons Office now makes an important contribution to the townscape of the centre of Kidderminster. SOURCE: Goff, A.D., The Development of the Carpet Works of Kidderminster 1735-1939, pp 92 and 93 [University of Birmingham, Ironbridge Institute dissertation].





Listing NGR: SO8314176523

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462947
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15930/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].