This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 75 AND 77, BOOTHAM

List entry Number: 1259410



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 462914

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE5952NE BOOTHAM 1112-1/7/93 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.75 AND 77


Formerly known as: Nos.77 AND 79 BOOTHAM. Two houses, now shops, flats and guest house. Dated 1770; extensively altered in C20. Brick in Flemish bond with some painted stone dressings. Slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 5 bays, with a 1st floor sill band. No.77 has a C20 shopfront on the ground floor with a corner doorway and plate glass display windows to the front and left-hand return walls. On the 1st floor there is a wide C20 bay window which interrupts the sill band. The 2nd floor windows are C20 casements with external louvred shutters. No.75 has glazing bar sash windows to the upper storeys and a C20 shopfront below. The central bay has windows with external louvred shutters, a sashed 2nd floor window, and paired doorways with a dentilled cornice hood, enriched frieze, and carved console brackets. The glazed doors are C20. To the left of the central bay is a rainwater pipe with a lead hopper dated '1770'. The gutter cornice is modillioned and dentilled. 2 axial chimneys on ridge. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase in No.75 with turned balusters and newels. No.77 (formerly No.79) was first listed 19/8/71. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 62).

Listing NGR: SE5976752581

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 62

National Grid Reference: SE 59767 52581


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:15:28.

End of official listing