This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1259437



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 462899

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/82 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.56 Bootham Lodge and attached railings


House, now offices. Built between 1840 and 1845 for Thomas Walker. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stucco and timber dressings. Hipped slate roofs. EXTERIOR: main building 3 storeys and 3 bays, with 2-storey one-bay wings to left and right. The windows to the 2nd floor and wings are sashed; the others are sashed without glazing bars. The central window on the 1st floor and the ground-floor windows have surrounds with Tuscan pilasters and cornices. The window cornices of the outer bays of the main house project as balconies to the 1st floor windows and have railings cast with wheel-like circular patterns. The other windows have architraves. The porch has unfluted Greek Doric columns and pilaster responds, and forms a balcony with railings matching those of the adjacent windows. The door has 8 raised and fielded panels and is set within an architrave. The left-hand wing has a carriage entrance on the ground floor with an elliptical brick arch, and a smaller pedestrian entrance to the right. The main eaves are carried on paired rectangular brackets. Chimneys to left and right of main building. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records entrance hall with 2 Doric columns. 2 staircases with cast-iron balusters and mahogany handrails. Other original fittings include cornices, overdoors and fireplace all by Wolstenholme. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement areas are enclosed by iron railings on low stone copings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 63).

Listing NGR: SE5991652392

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 63

National Grid Reference: SE 59916 52392


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 04:16:46.

End of official listing