Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259441

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: BOOTHAM HOUSE, 61, BOOTHAM


Ordnance survey map of BOOTHAM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 15:37:36.


Statutory Address: BOOTHAM HOUSE, 61, BOOTHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59911 52443


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/85 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.61 Bootham House


House, now offices and Institute for the Blind. Late C18 with alterations of c1840. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone or stucco dressings. Slate roof, hipped at the left. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 3 bays. The windows are sashed on the 2nd floor with glazing bar sashes below. All have painted brick flat arches. The 1st floor windows have balconies added c1840, with anthemion-pattern ironwork. Above the ground-floor windows is an applied storey band of painted timber. The right-hand bay contains a doorway of c1840 of painted stone or stucco. It has outer fluted Doric pilasters supporting an entablature, narrow flanking lights, engaged Ionic columns framing the door, and a central pediment. The door has 6 panels. Modillion gutter cornice, with lead hopper towards left. Ridge chimneys to right of 2nd bay and at right. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records fittings mostly c1840 including a stone, cantilevered staircase with cast-iron balusters, and some rooms have elaborate friezes and centrepieces to the ceilings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 61-2).

Listing NGR: SE5991152443


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462903

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 61-2

End of official listing