Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259452.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2021 at 11:58:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60024 52368



SE6052SW BOOTHAM 1112-1/13/72 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.37 Wandesford House


Formerly known as: No.37 The Wandesford Hospital BOOTHAM. Almshouses. Opened in 1743 as the Mary Wandesford Old Maid's Hospital; altered mid C19, and in 1968 when the present doorcase was added. Brick in Flemish bond with plain tile roof. EXTERIOR: symmetrical, of 2 storeys and 7 bays, with the 3 central bays projecting under a pediment. Each bay has a round-arched recess within which the windows of both storeys are set, and a deep impost band is carried from arch to arch across the recesses. The windows are glazing bar sashes, the ground-floor ones with flat rubbed brick arches and the 1st floor ones with segmental heads and 3 over 3 panes. The doorway has a timber architrave and a broken pediment. The cornice gutter is heavily moulded. Within the pediment there is a niche containing a bust of the foundress. To the right of the 1st and 6th bays there are lead rainwater hoppers and downpipes. Chimneys to left and right, and on ridge to each side of the 3 central bays. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record 2 original staircases, each single flight with closed string, square newels and turned oak balusters with moulded and ramped handrail. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 51).

Listing NGR: SE6002452368


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 51


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15192/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].