This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBER 45 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 45 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1259461

Location

NUMBER 45 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 45, BOOTHAM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 462880

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/75 (North East side) 01/07/68 No.45 and attached railings

GV II

House, now part of school. Late C19 incorporating remains from 1748 and c1800. Brick in Flemish bond with some stone dressings. Hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys above cellars and 3 bays. The windows are sashed without glazing bars. On the ground floor there is a single window divided into 3 lights by mullions which are treated as banded columns. Brick flanking pilasters support a stone frieze and cornice. The windows to the upper storeys have segmental brick arches. The central window on the 1st floor is wider and is divided into 4 sashes. The windows above on the 2nd and 3rd floors have a central division. At the eaves there is a corbel table. At the left of the facade there are painted alternating stone quoins extending to the level of the 2nd floor window heads. These formed part of a terrace built in 1748, which included Nos 39 (qv) and 45. The doorcase, in the left-hand bay, also appears to be of this date and to be re-used. It has an architrave, enriched frieze, a pediment on console brackets, and panelled reveals. The door has 6 panels and a plain rectangular overlight. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area is enclosed by plain iron railings on stone copings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 56-7).



Listing NGR: SE5998752376

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 56-7

National Grid Reference: SE 59987 52376

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259461 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 04:04:22.

End of official listing