This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1259463



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 462882

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE5952SE BOOTHAM 1112-1/12/76 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.47 and attached railings


House, now part of school. 1753. By John Carr for Mrs Mary Thompson. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys above cellars and 4 bays. The ground and first floor windows have sill bands, each with a second band below, and lengths of cornice over rubbed brick flat arches. The windows are glazing bar sashes. The ground-floor windows have external shutters, each with 3 raised and fielded panels. The door, in the left-hand bay, has 8 raised and fielded panels, a plain rectangular overlight, an architrave, and a cornice on console brackets. Towards the left-hand side of the deep timber gutter cornice there is a lead rainwater downpipe and a hopper with a monogram of initials. Axial chimney near centre of roof. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records good quality original fittings including staircase with turned balusters and enriched plaster ceiling; dining room with panelling, doorcases and fireplace; saloon on first floor with fireplace and pedimented overmantel. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area is enclosed by plain railings on low stone copings. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 58).

Listing NGR: SE5998452381

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 58

National Grid Reference: SE 59984 52381


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259463 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 07:54:53.

End of official listing