Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259477

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1971

Statutory Address: 25, BOOTHAM


Ordnance survey map of 25, BOOTHAM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259477 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 14:44:42.


Statutory Address: 25, BOOTHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60071 52306


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6052SW BOOTHAM 1112-1/13/69 (North East side) 19/08/71 No.25


House, now shop and offices. 1766, altered and extended mid/late C19. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stucco dressings and cast-iron ornamentation. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. 7 bays. A difference in brick colour suggests that the 2 left-hand bays are an addition. The windows to the upper storeys have rubbed brick flat arches and projecting sills. The 1st floor windows are sashed and the 2nd floor windows are sashed without glazing bars. There are 2 flat-roofed attic dormers. The shopfronts are of stucco and have cornices surmounted by cast-iron brattishing, pilasters, and brackets. The left-hand shopfront occupies bays 1 to 4 and has a central segmental pediment with brackets carried on cast-iron columns. The right-hand shopfront occupies bays 6 and 7. The original entrance remains in the 5th bay and has a pilaster doorcase, a door with 6 panels, and a semicircular overlight. To the right of the entrance bay there is a lead rainwater pipe with a hopper inscribed 'TG 1768'. Gable chimneys. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase with turned balusters with square knops and ramped and moulded handrail. Various cornices, dado rails and window architraves. The initials TG are those of Thomas Gilbank, who purchased the house in 1768. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 55).

Listing NGR: SE6007152306


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462852

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 55

End of official listing