GATES, WALLS AND RAILINGS TO FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR WALL BOUNDING FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259553
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
GATES, WALLS AND RAILINGS TO FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR, BISHOPHILL SENIOR
Statutory Address:
WALL BOUNDING FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR, CARR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATES, WALLS AND RAILINGS TO FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR
WALL BOUNDING FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259553.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 23:36:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATES, WALLS AND RAILINGS TO FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR, BISHOPHILL SENIOR
Statutory Address:
WALL BOUNDING FORMER CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY BISHOPHILL SENIOR, CARR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60129 51408

Details

YORK

SE6051SW BISHOPHILL SENIOR 1112-1/21/40 (North East side) Gates, walls and railings to former churchyard of St Mary Bishophill Senior

II

Includes: Wall bounding former churchyard of St Mary Bishophill Senior CARR LANE. Walls and railings, with gates and gate piers, bounding former churchyard of St Mary's Church, Bishophill Senior, to south-east and south-west (church now demolished). c1860, incorporating sections of earlier wall. Railings probably from the Walker Foundry. Walls of coursed dressed stone incorporating stretch of brick wall; ashlar gate piers; cast-iron gates and railings. Carriage gate piers octagonal on plan, with stepped polygonal caps above moulded cornice; foot gate piers square on plan, caps lost. Double carriage gates of railings with fleur-de-lys finials and bands of quatrefoil castings; single pedestrian gate similar. Walls varying from approximately 1.0 to 1.75 metres in height, with sloped coping, raked-up on south-east side. Standards octagonal on plan with tapering finials, and diagonally set railings, with alternating pointed and fleur-de-lys finials. The church of St Mary Bishophill Senior was demolished in 1963. In 1859-60, it was restored by JB and W Atkinson, with whom William Walker frequently worked. Similar gates and cast-iron piers were ordered from William Walker by the Little Blake Street Improvement Committee in 1863. Wall to south-east thought to incorporate remains of wall to possible Saxon burial ground. (Pace GG: Bishophill: York: York: 1974-: 6-7; City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 35-36; York Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 37).



Listing NGR: SE6012951408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462797
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 35-36
Pace, G G, York, (1974), 6-7
Malden, J, 'York Historian' in The Walker Iron Foundry York Circa 1825-1923, (1976), 37

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05102/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].