60 AND 62, ALDWARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259570

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: 60 AND 62, ALDWARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of 60 AND 62, ALDWARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259570 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:36:16.

Location

Statutory Address: 60 AND 62, ALDWARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60693 51991

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE ALDWARK 1112-1/17/15 (South West side) Nos.60 AND 62

GV II

Methodist chapel, now dentist's surgery. 1759, altered and extended c1805 and later. Orange-grey brick in random bond on brick plinth; hipped roof of pantiles with corner scrolls and brick stack. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay front with 1-storey extension bay to right. C20 glazed door in shallow brick arch of 2 orders in extension, approached by steps with cast-iron handrail. Windows to main front are of 16 panes with stone sills and segmental brick arches. Left return: 2 storeys, 5 bays, with irregular fenestration. Blocked round-arched openings represent original fenestration. Present windows similar to those on Aldwark front. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: building is notable as the first, and until 1805 the only, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in York. The opening service on 15 July 1759 was conducted by John Wesley. Its use as a chapel was discontinued in 1805. (Borthwick Papers: Royle E: Nonconformity in C19 York: University of York: 1985-: 1; City of York: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 52).

Listing NGR: SE6069351991

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462773

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 52
Royle, E, 'Borthwick Papers' in Nonconformity In C19 York, (1985), 1

End of official listing