MERCHANT TAYLORS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1259571

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: MERCHANT TAYLORS HALL, ALDWARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of MERCHANT TAYLORS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:08:20.

Location

Statutory Address: MERCHANT TAYLORS HALL, ALDWARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60644 52153

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SE ALDWARK 1112-1/14/17 (North East side) 14/06/54 Merchant Taylors' Hall (Formerly Listed as: ALDWARK Merchant Taylors Guild Hall)

GV I

Guildhall of the Merchant Taylors' Company. c1400 with late C15 wing, refenestrated early C17; extended, refaced and porch added 1714-15; entrance front and wing refaced c1730. Restored with some rebuilding and further extensions in C20. Painted glass c1700 by Henry Gyles. MATERIALS: hall and wing timber-framed, refaced in orange-brown and orange brick in random and English garden-wall bonds: extension of orange-brown brick, part rendered, part rebuilt: timber porch: tile roofs with brick stacks, hall stack partly rebuilt. 5-bay hall with screens passage and service bay; projecting extension wing. EXTERIOR: 1-storey 3-bay hall range with external porch, and 2-storey service bay at left end; projecting 1-storey 3-bay gabled wing and parallel extension to right. Pedimented porch with 3 round-arched openings, one with brick blocking, contains chamfered frame for original door of ogee-arched panels with 4-centred head and arched wicket retaining iron handle back plate. To left of porch, inserted C20 cross-window beneath segmental brick arch on ground floor: on first floor, early C18 3-light window with central casement on H-L hinges. To right of porch, two C20 inserted windows flank rebuilt external chimney stack. Wing has round-arched window in gable end and square-headed 3-light mullioned and transomed window in left return. Rear: battered external stack flanked by high 5- and 6-light timber mullion and transom windows. Left return ground floor obscured by later extension: C20 first floor windows and exposed timber-frame in gable end. Hall right return has round-headed window in round-arched stone surround with keyblock and imposts beneath segmental pediment flanked by 2-light windows with segmental brick arches. To left, wing extension behind later extension retains 3-panel door in moulded frame and two timber mullion and transom windows. INTERIOR: main door hung on strap hinges retains original door furniture. Plank door on similar hinges at rear of screens passage. To left of screens passage, two openings with 4-centred heads in chamfered frames survive. Reconstructed staircase retains moulded close string, splat balusters and square newels with attached half balusters. Doorway to hall is round-arched between sunk-panel pilasters with imposts and moulded keyblock rising into moulded cornice: 2-leaf doors of

raised and fielded panelling set in panelled reveals. In hall C20 wainscot masks timber-framing and incorporates reproduction C18 doorcases: C18 double doors of raised and fielded panelling survive to wing and 3-panel door to wing extension. Chimneypiece in bolection moulded timber surround surmounted by Arms of the Drapers' Company painted on plank board with segment-pedimented head. Reset gallery with slender column-on-vase balustrade and panelled door on butterfly hinges. Painted carved Royal Arms over window. Roof has one crown post truss and 4 collared rafter trusses with moulded arch braces and inserted tie beams. Fittings in wing are C20: windows incorporate fragments of names painted in Black Letter and coloured glass by Henry Gyles, including the Arms of the Company. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 85-91).



Listing NGR: SE6064452153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462774

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 85-91

End of official listing