THE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259573

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: THE COTTAGE, ALDWARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 11:52:37.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COTTAGE, ALDWARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60647 52128

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SE ALDWARK 1112-1/14/18 (North East side) 14/06/54 The Cottage (Formerly Listed as: ALDWARK Merchant Taylors Hospital)

GV II

Range of almshouses; now single dwelling. Dated 1730; mid C19 and C20 alteration. For the Company of Merchant Taylors. Orange-brown mottled brick in English garden-wall bond on low brick plinth; cogged brick cornice, tiled roof and brick ridge stacks. EXTERIOR: 1-storey 8-window front. 3-panel door at right end, approached by stone steps. Left end altered and linked to Merchant Taylors' Hall (qv). 4-pane sash windows except for 2 top-hung lights, in altered openings which retain segmental brick arches. To right of centre, inscribed stone tablet records the building of the Hospital by the Company in the year 1730 and includes names of the Master and Wardens. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 85-91).



Listing NGR: SE6064752128

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462776

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 85-91

End of official listing