140 and 142, Hampstead Way, Hampstead Garden Suburb

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259656
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1996
Statutory Address:
140 and 142, Hampstead Way, Hampstead Garden Suburb

Map

Ordnance survey map of 140 and 142, Hampstead Way, Hampstead Garden Suburb
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 14:59:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
140 and 142, Hampstead Way, Hampstead Garden Suburb

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 25000 88679

Details

TQ2488 31-0/25/10170

BARNET, Hampstead Garden Suburb, HAMPSTEAD WAY (North side), Nos.140 AND 142

GV II

Pair of artisans' cottages. 1907. Barry Parker and Raymond Unwin. Painted pebbledash. Roof of tile with swept eaves and exposed rafters. Two storeys. Two-window range to the pair, bilaterally symmetrical. Vernacular Revival style. Entrances on returns in recessed porches entered from a round arch set flush with brick chimney breast; porch to No.140 glazed in late C20. All casement windows are flat arched with weathering except in bays and all are of an original design. First-floor windows are half dormers with eaves cheeks; a canted bay below each with ornamental lead flashing; two-light ground-floor windows at outer cornets. On return, casements flank chimney breasts on ground and first floors. Ridge stacks to party wall; all stacks with dentil band. Tile creasing to gable kneelers. Weatherboarded outshut to each. Plinth band set with memorial stones incised with initials. Plaque attached to No.142 identifies the pair as the first built in the Suburb and notes that the Lord Mayor of London visited them in 1957, the Jubilee Year of the Suburb. The sod-turning ceremony of 2 May 1907 took place on this site.



Listing NGR: TQ2500388683

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462684
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].