BROMPTON GARRISON CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259691

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1991

Statutory Address: BROMPTON GARRISON CHURCH, MAXWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROMPTON GARRISON CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 05:34:00.

Location

Statutory Address: BROMPTON GARRISON CHURCH, MAXWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Medway (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 76140 68540

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GILLINGHAM

TQ7668NW MAXWELL ROAD, Brompton 686-1/5/16 (North West side) 27/06/91 Brompton Garrison Church

II

Church. 1854. Polygonal limestone rubble and dressings with a slate roof. STYLE: Early English Gothic Revival. PLAN: chancel with aisled nave. EXTERIOR: E chancel gable has angle buttresses with weathered tops, stepped coping and a 3-light stepped lancet window with attached colonnettes, hood mould with small stops and a trefoil above; 3-bay sides have lancets with labels. Taller nave gable, the N and S aisles are 7 bays separated by flying buttresses with attached plinths, diagonal corner buttresses, and paired lancets with quatrefoils above. W end has buttresses flanking the nave gable and a gabled bellcote containing an open 2-light opening as the side lights, above a Lombard frieze; the gable has a 3-light stepped lancet as the E end set in a 2-centre relieving arch, above a gabled porch with 2-centre arched doorway with double doors and trap hinges, and flanking lancets; aisle ends have 2-light windows as the sides. INTERIOR: not inspected, but reported to contain W organ loft on 8 Tuscan columns with stair each side and arched windows; 7-columns to aisles with trefoil decoration. Boarded roof with 3 tiers of through purlins to nave and 2 more to doorcase. FITTINGS: octagonal font and wooden pulpit. MEMORIALS: memorial to men of the Indian campaign 1857 and 1858; chest tomb and effigy to Major General Charles George Gordon CB.

Listing NGR: TQ7614068540

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462631

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing