LITTLE LONDON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259706
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
LITTLE LONDON FARMHOUSE, LOWER TWYDALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE LONDON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259706 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 12:44:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
LITTLE LONDON FARMHOUSE, LOWER TWYDALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 80269 67846

Details

GILLINGHAM

TQ86NW LOWER TWYDALL LANE, Twydall 686-1/8/122 (North West side) 21/12/73 Little London Farmhouse (Formerly Listed as: TWYDALL LANE, Twydall (North West side) Little London Farmhouse)

II

House. Late C15-early C16, altered C17, C19 rear range. Timber-frame on a flint plinth, partly brick, render and weatherboard, brick left-hand external gable and rear lateral stacks, with a tiled roof. PLAN: 3-room parallel plan with a right-hand lean-to and a C19 rear service range. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-window range. Flint plinth, rendered ground floor and close-studded first floor with end tension braces and 2 cills to small blocked late C16 clerestory windows under the eaves; C17 English bond left-hand gable and right-hand weatherboard gable. A C20 bracketed timber canopy with a hipped roof to the right of the left-hand window and boarded door; left-hand 8/8-pane sash in exposed frame, central and right-hand C20 casements, first-floor C19 casements and central 3/6-pane sash. Right-hand lean-to has raking roof and C19 timber-framed half gable. Lower rear wing encloses a lateral stack, with a gabled stair tower in the left-hand angle, and a late C20 conservatory linked to a rear C19 brick and tile service extension. INTERIOR: not inspected. A retaining wall in the cellar contains the capital of a column (the shaft of which is within the garden) which may have come from the chantry chapel built by John Beafits from Twydall Manor House in 1433 and demolished in 1756. (The History and Topography Survey of the County of Kent: Hastead E: 2nd ed.: vol 4: 1972-: 235, 236).

Listing NGR: TQ8026967845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462602
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hastead, E , The History and Topography Survey of the County of Kent, (1972), 235, 236

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].