NUMBERS 25 TO 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND PORCH CANOPY BRACKETS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259723
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1996
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 25 TO 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND PORCH CANOPY BRACKETS, 25-43, ASMUNS PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 25 TO 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND PORCH CANOPY BRACKETS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259723.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 04:45:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 25 TO 43 AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL AND PORCH CANOPY BRACKETS, 25-43, ASMUNS PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24893 88798

Details

BARNET TQ2488 ASMUNS PLACE 31-0/25/10115 Hampstead garden Suburb Nos.25-43 (Odd) And attached garden wall and porch Canopy brackets

GV II

Artisans' Cottages, forming west court of Asmuns Place cul-de-sac. 1908. Barry Parker and Raymond Unwin, possibly designed by Charles Wade, an important architect in the office between 1907 and 1912 who designed many buildings in the old Suburb, including those in. Willifield Way facing Willifield Green (q.v.). Brown brick in Flemish bond. Dressings in red brick and tile. Roofs of tile with swept eaves and tile gable kneelers; exposed rafter end. Two storeys. U-shaped plan, conceived in answer to 26-52 even (q.v.) opposite, but with a shallower courtyard necessitated by the proximity of these plots to the Finchley Road. End units treated as gable facing cross wings, as if the double-ended hall house had been extended by especially deep wings. One-window range to end units, four-window range to wing elevations facing courtyard and ten-window range to long "hall" range. Vernacular Revival style. Rough bilateral symmetry, varied slightly because of rise in site from south to north, which results in first-floor windows to north being either lower or treated as half dormers. Round-arched cross passage on centre line; above an oriel flanking by square lights, the three linked by continuous weathering; centre range continues above eaves line to finish in stilted facing gable. A pair of hipped half dormers to either side. Three half dormers to right wing with catslide roofs. Some variety in the treatment of entrances. Nos. 37 and 39 set in recessed porch entered through round-diaphragm arch; entrances to Nos. 29 and 31 flanking cross passage. Entrances to Nos. 27 and 41 set under canopy porch suspended from metal brackets. End unit to north, No.43, has gable heads sheathed in wood shingles, a feature found on unit 45 in the centrepiece (Nos. 45-59, q.v.) ; facing gable to south plain brick. Returns to end units of two-window range, those to left taller than those to right, again to negotiate changes in site level. Ridge stacks to alternate party walls; additional stacks to rear roof slope. Casement windows of original design to all except for Nos. 25, 33 and 43. Included in this listing is the garden wall which links the corner of No.25 to No.23 (q.v.).



Listing NGR: TQ2489288789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462619
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15241/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].