7 AND 8, MANSION ROW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259724
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
7 AND 8, MANSION ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7 AND 8, MANSION ROW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259724.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 15:20:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
7 AND 8, MANSION ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 76282 68879

Details

GILLINGHAM

TQ7668NW MANSION ROW, Brompton 686-1/5/10 (West side) 24/02/50 Nos.7 AND 8 (Formerly Listed as: MANSION ROW, Brompton (West side) Nos.2-6, 6A, 7, 8 (Consecutive) Cambridge House (No.4))

GV II

House, now attached pair of houses. Late C18, altered early C19. Flemish bond brick, stone dressings, tile-hung rear, axial stacks behind the ridge and tiled roof. STYLE: Mid Georgian. PLAN: double-depth. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 5-window range. A near symmetrical front has a thin brick cornice and parapet, good central timber doorcase with architrave, scrolled brackets to an open pediment, panelled reveals and soffit, and a fine metal fanlight with enriched spandrels, and door with 6 raised panels. To the right is a round-arched doorway with very fine fluted quarter Ionic columns, a door with 2 round-topped panels, and a good metal tear-drop fanlight. Rubbed brick flat arches to plate-glass sashes, and 3/3-pane second-floor sashes. 3-window rear, with a single-storey service range to No.8 and 2-storey late C19 extension to No.7. INTERIOR: No.8 contains a central dogleg stair with turned balusters and column newels, uncut string; ovolo moulding to front door. One build with Nos 5 and 6 (qv) to the right, dated 1775.

Listing NGR: TQ7627868878

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
462620
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05073/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David G. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].