CATHERINE WHEEL PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1259777
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1972
Statutory Address:
31, MILFORD STREET
Statutory Address:
CATHERINE WHEEL PUBLIC HOUSE, 33, MILFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHERINE WHEEL PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:23:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
31, MILFORD STREET
Statutory Address:
CATHERINE WHEEL PUBLIC HOUSE, 33, MILFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14674 29952

Details

MILFORD STREET 1. 1594 (North Side) Nos 31 & 33 (Catherine Wheel Public House) SU 1429 NE 4/533 II* GV 2. Formerly one house C15 origin. No 31 recased as separate house early C19: 3 storeys stock brick to overhanging 1st floor, parapet and moulded cornice broken forward over canted bay window, architrave surround to sash lights, plank apron. Modern shop front. No 33 (The Catherine Wheel) entirely refronted this century, stuccoed with brick surround and plinth, bracketed cornice. Modern casements and central door with pedimented hood. Old tile roof however. Passageway to left. To rear east wing with jettied 1st floor, mathematical tiles, 3 C19 sashes. Interior remains of roof structure in street block 3 bays, partition truss and a hammerbeam truss over open hall. Also remains of C16 King strut and curved braces.

Nos 19A to 39 (odd) form a group.

Listing NGR: SU1466729953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444196
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/14566/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].