HOLY INNOCENTS CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259780
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
HOLY INNOCENTS CHURCH, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY INNOCENTS CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259780.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 10:30:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY INNOCENTS CHURCH, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Horsham (District Authority)
Parish:
Southwater
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15214 26380

Details

TQ 12 NE SOUTHWATER CHURCH LANE

965/12/10030 Holy Innocents Church

II

Church. Built in 1848-9, architect W Harrison, with vestry of 1909. Built of Forest sandstone and Horsham stone rubble with ashlar dressings and tiled roof and wood and shingled bellcote. Decorated style. Nave and north aisle, north and south transepts and south porch. Nave has 2 traceried windows, one double and one triple trefoliated window. Gabled south porch with kneelers, scissorbrace roof and 2 stained glass lancet windows. North aisle has 3 double trefoliated windows. West window has 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil above. Bellcote at west end is wooden with trefoliated bell chamber with latticed screen and shingled spire surmounted by metal windvane. Gabled transepts. East window has 3 cinquefoil-headed lights and reticulated tracery. Interior has 3 bay arcade with octagonal columns and nave and north aisle have arch-braced roofs. C19 pews and 1880 organ from Worth Abbey. South and east walls have C 19 stained glass. North aisle has 6 stained glass windows of 1986 depicting the history of Christ's Hospital by Harold Thompson.



Listing NGR: TQ1521426380

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444199
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16349/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].