CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259862
Date first listed:
20-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, FRANKBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259862.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:48:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE DIVINE, FRANKBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 24704 87025

Details

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE FRANKBY ROAD (north side) Frankby

4/14 Church of St. John the - Divine

- II

Church. 1861-2. By W. and J. Hay. Stone with banded slate roof. 3-bay nave with north aisle and chancel with north vestry. Nave has 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery between buttresses. South gabled porch has entrance of one order and small stained glass lights. West end has angle buttresses and 2 traceried lights with quatrefoil above; traceried light to aisle and stack to junction of nave and aisle. Aisle has paired trefoil-headed lights. Lean-to vestry has trefoil-headed lights, entrance with shouldered lintel and 2-light east window. Nave east gable has bell- cote. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and 3-light east window; south traceried light, and high-placed small cusped light to sanctuary. Interior: Arcade on round columns, hood moulds with angel stops. Collar-truss roof with laminated arch braces on corbels. Round font has interlaced blind arcading. Dole cupboard mounted on wall, possibly C18, has turned balusters to doors. 4 brass chandeliers. Chancel arch has corbels with figures, to south side a sower. Pulpit has canted ends and cusped niche. Chancel has north organ loft with painted organ pipes and case. Panelled roof painted with IHS monogram and eagle of St. John; cornice has Tudor flower ornament. East wall has timber panelling. 2 cusped sedilia with central colonnette to south. Walls have panels with IHS monogram and 4 paintings in bolection moulded frames. Corona Lucis at west end of chancel. The church has an excellent series of stained glass windows. North aisle windows are Morris and Co. (Burne-Jones) 1873. Chancel south-east (1877) and vestry, north (1870) by C.E. Kempe. Chancel east (1859), south-west (1860s), nave south (1860s), nave west (1868) and aisle north (1870s) by Clayton and Bell.

Listing NGR: SJ2470487025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
443635
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05040/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].