TOWER TO FORMER CHURCH OF ST HILARY TO SOUTH WEST OF PRESENT CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259875
Date first listed:
20-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
TOWER TO FORMER CHURCH OF ST HILARY TO SOUTH WEST OF PRESENT CHURCH, CLAREMOUNT ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259875.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 00:50:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER TO FORMER CHURCH OF ST HILARY TO SOUTH WEST OF PRESENT CHURCH, CLAREMOUNT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 29632 92128

Details

SJ 29 SE WALLASEY CLAREMOUNT ROAD (west side) Wallasey

2/41 Tower to former church of 20/5/52 St. Hilary to south west of present church (Formerly listed as "Wallasey Old Church G.V. II Tower") Tower. Lower part C13, upper part has datestone to south face: 1530. Stone. 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Blocked arches to north and east faces. Signs of lean-to roof to east face; north face has blocked 2-light window inserted in arch. West face has blocked window of 3 cusped lights. South face has tall blocked opening with inserted entrance with 4-centred head and datestone above. 3-light louvred bell openings, drip mould and embattled parapet with gargoyles. Arches formerly opened into church destroyed c.1850.

Listing NGR: SJ2963292128

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
443663
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06360/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].