CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259982
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259982.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:14:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 94154 90666

Details

SJ 99 SW WERNETH CHURCH LANE (east side) Romiley

1/199 Church of - St. Chad

- II

Church. 1864-6. J. Medland Taylor. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and clay tile roof. Nave, aisles, transepts, north-west tower and polygonal apse. 3 bay aisles (no clerestory) with projecting plinth, weathered buttresses paired cusped lancets and overhanging eaves. 2 similar lancets to transepts with rose window above and a porch on short column to south only. Chancel has 2-light windows with plate tracery, a continuous sill band, an inscribed band and contrasting red sandstone voussoirs. Gablet vents on roof and coped gables with finials: 3-stage tower with angled weathered buttresses, one incorporating a stair turret; 1 and 2-light openings to each stage, enriched gabled clock surrounds and a broach spire with hipped lucarnes. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade with heavily enriched capitals depicting the 4 evangelists, St. Chad, Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort all in an early French Gothic manner. Scissor-braced roof trusses with a barrel vault to chancel. Chancel arch on corbelled colonnettes. Part Jacobean panelling to chancel, Caen stone pulpit, ornate reredos (1881), sedilia (1899) and stained glass, that to the chancel donated by John Bright.

Listing NGR: SJ9415490666

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441968
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05366/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Russ Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].