CHURCH OF RESURRECTION AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1260170
Date first listed:
20-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF RESURRECTION AND ALL SAINTS, CALDY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF RESURRECTION AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260170.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF RESURRECTION AND ALL SAINTS, CALDY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 22622 85248

Details

SJ 28 NW HOYLAKE CALDY ROAD (north side) Caldy

4/2 Church of Resurrection and - All Saints

G.V. II

Church. Built originally as school, 1868, by G.E. Street. Extensively altered and north aisle, chancel and north east tower added 1906-7 by Douglas and Minshull. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings, slate roof with tile crest. Nave with north aisle and baptistry, chancel with north vestry and saddle-back tower. Nave has gabled south porch and straight -headed window of 3 cusped lights. Buttress marks division between nave and choir, which has paired 2- light windows and end gabled buttress. West end of nave has paired 2-light traceried windows with straight heads. North aisle has 2 single-chamfered-mullioned windows of 4 lights, the west gable end with straight-headed 3-light window with trefoil heads to lights over canted baptistry with single lights. Chancel has south straight-headed window of 5 lights, east window of 3 stepped lights with splayed reveals and shafts. Panel over dated 1907. Tower projects to east, entrance has lintel dated 1882 from chapel at Manor House. East gabled stair turret. Gable ends have Y-tracery louvred bell openings, smaller lights to north and south. North west stack. Interior: Nave has arch-braced collar roof; north side has inscribed beam on chamfered stone piers. Sanctuary arch has continuous mouldings. Fittings of choir and sanctuary of 1882 by C.E. Kempe taken from Manor House chapel. Screen to west and north has posts supporting entablature, the 2 central posts with angels and rood above. Choir stalls and altar rail have panels of marquetry and turned balusters. Reredos similar with crucifixion. Tapering octagonal font with ribs and inscription; painted baptistry ceiling. Good stained glass, some by C.E. Kempe and one by A.J. Davis of the Bromsgrove Guild. Vestry has fireplace with coat of arms, dated 1868.

Listing NGR: SJ2262285248

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441485
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05041/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].