CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, BROOKSIDE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260244.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:36:17.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, BROOKSIDE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- East Leake
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 55178 26215
In the entry for:
EAST LEAKE BROOKSIDE SK 52 NE (west side) 5/13 Church of St Mary 13.10.66 GV II
On the thirty seventh line of the description the name Wilm Mercer, shall be amended to read: William Marcer
EAST LEAKE BROOKSIDE SK 52 NE (west side) 5/13 Church of St. Mary 13.10.66 G.V. I Parish church. C12, C14, C15, C17, chancel rebuilt c.1880, vestry enlarged 1914. Dressed coursed rubble, some ashlar, with ashlar dressings. Plain tile and lead roofs. Embattled nave. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to east chancel and porch. Single stack to vestry. Buttressed, apart from the tower. Tower with spire, nave, south aisle, south porch, north vestry and chancel. C12 tower with C15 embattlements, set on a low chamfered plinth of 3 stages and topped with C15 spire. West wall of tower with single lancet and single rectangular light above, 4 tie plates. The north side with similar rectangular light and 7 tie plates. The south side with pointed arched doorway and C17 plank and stud door. Over is a single lancet, a single rectangular light and above a single clock face. 7 tie plates. The east side has a single clock face over the bell chamber and 2 tie plates. 4 C14 bell chamber openings each with 2 arched lights. The north nave wall with some C12 herringbone masonry has a blocked C12 doorway. To the left are 2 round arched C12 lights. The clerestory with single crocketed pinnacle to the east has 4 C15 windows each with 2 arched lights under a flat arch, hood moulds, remains of label stops and continuous sill band. Single tie plate. Projecting from the north chancel wall is the vestry set on a chamfered plinth. In the north wall are 2 C19 windows each with 2 trefoil arched lights under a flat arch. In the east wall is a chamfered doorway with plank door. The east wall of the chancel is set on a low chamfered plinth and has a single large arched C14 restored 5 light window with reticulated tracery and hood mould. The south chancel on similar plinth has a single C14 2 light window with reticulated tracery and hood mould. To the left is a single C13 lancet, a pointed chamfered arched doorway, a single small arched blocked light and on the far left a single restored arched C13 window with 3 pointed arched lights and hood mould. Continuous sill band forming hood mould over the doorway. The east wall of the south aisle has a single C14 arched 3 light window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The tracery further decorated with carved heads. Adjacent this wall is a decorative slate headstone to Wilm Mercer, 1792, by Winfield. The south wall has a single similar 2 light C19 window the carving being foliate. To the left is a single similar 3 light C19 window, both with hood moulds and remains of label stops. To the left is the gabled porch. Chamfered and moulded arched C19 entrance with hood mould forming sill band to east wall and band to west wall. In the apex is a single niche with carved figure and hood mould. The east wall with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. Inner C13 moulded arched doorway with single outer restored colonnettes with moulded capitals, hood mould and C19 decorative label stops. To the left is a single C17 2 light ashlar mullion window and on the far left a single corbel supporting a lead sundial. Clerestory corresponds to the north, however the single window on the right has ogee arched lights. There is no sill band. Interior. 4 bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal columns and responds and moulded capitals, the single central capital however decorated with nailhead, double chamfered arches. Hood mould to nave side with 2 human head label stops. Wide double chamfered tower arch with imposts and hood mould with remains of label stops. Over is a blocked C12 round arched opening. Restored double chamfered chancel arch, octagonal responds with nailhead capitals and continuous nailhead imposts, hood mould. North chancel with doorway to vestry and trefoil arched opening over. In the south chancel is a trefoil arched piscina. The south wall of the aisle has a similar piscina. There is a small rectangular niche to the left of the east window of the south wall. The east window of the aisle is flanked by single colonnettes, the arch over decorated with 5 foliate carved bosses. The nave roof C16, restored C18, and inscribed "I T 1769" is decorated with carved bosses. The aisle roof with re- used moulded beams has various inscriptions, dated 1638: There are 3 benches with carved ends, one inscribed "1612 H". 3 C16 benches with carved poppyheads and 2 further C17 benches. There are 2 chairs with C17 carved and inlaid backs. A C17 altar table in the south aisle with turned legs. C19 alms box decorated with blind tracery. C13 octagonal font supported on 4 hexagonal legs. There are the remains of the workings of a C17 clock, and a restored C18 shawm. In the tower is a plaque inscribed "1757" commemorating the church wardens of that date.
Listing NGR: SK5517826215
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing