CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI (NUMBER 865)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1260608
Date first listed:
14-Jan-1994
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI (NUMBER 865), GREAT WEST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI (NUMBER 865)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:49:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI (NUMBER 865), GREAT WEST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15978 77274

Details

In the entry for:

ISLEWORTH GREAT WEST ROAD TQ 1577 (south side - off) 787-/27/10010 Church of St Francis of Assisi (no.859) II

the address shall be amended to read "Church of St Francis of Assisi (no. 865).

------------------------------------ The following building shall be added:

ISLEWORTH GREAT WEST ROAD TQ 1577 (south side - off) 787-/27/10010 Church of St Francis of Add (no. 859) II

Church, with attached vicarage and vestries to left, church hall to right. 1933-5 by E C Shearman at the expense of Father Frederick Howard Harding, the first incumbent. Some additional fittings 1958 in his memory. Claygate stock brick with contrasting stone bands externally and Fletton brick internally, slate roofs. Liturgical points used in description, though liturgical east in fact north. Sanctuary set in deep apse and flanked by side chapels separated by paired lancet openings and reached by narrow passage aisles; these last continue as passages to the slightly wider five-bay nave, separated by a simple arcade and transversed by narrow lancets. Chancel arch, no crossing; what appear as stunted transepts on the exterior are contained within the passage aisles and side chapels internally. Stairs at either side of west end lead to small gallery housing organ, over ancillary rooms. The sanctuary ceiling is of fibrous acoustic panels, painted; the nave has an open timber ceiling with arched trusses. The apse is lit by tall lancets in Early English style, but which have recticulated tracery; these later motifs are continued in the fenestration of the nave - where, however, the second and third bays are blind - and the side chapels, whose square 3-light windows are wholly Perpendicular. Circular window in west end. Sanctuary with altar, sedilia, and crucifix (1957-8). Side chapels with wooden altar rails and reredoses, that to the north furnished in memory of Father Harding, 1957-8. The church hall, vestries and vicarage form a single composition with the church, abutting the aisles. The church hall is further linked by an arched brick aisle. Their steep slate roofs harmonise with those over the nave, and contrast with the bulk of the apse. All have mullion and transom windows with leaded lights. This powerful composition shows the richness of Gothic design in the 1930s, of which Shearman was one of the best exponents of creating monumental spaces out of simple materials.

Listing NGR: TQ1597877274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440187
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06327/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].