REFECTORY HALL AND KITCHEN TO ST JOHN'S HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1260717
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
REFECTORY HALL AND KITCHEN TO ST JOHN'S HOSPITAL, NORTHGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260717.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:07:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
REFECTORY HALL AND KITCHEN TO ST JOHN'S HOSPITAL, NORTHGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 15158 58333

Details

1. 944 NORTHGATE (North West Side)

Refectory Hall and Kitchen to St John's Hospital TR 1558 SW 3/147C 3.12.49.

II GV

2. This dates from the C12 and has C16 features. Restored in C19, 3 storeys flint faced with reused masonry. The roof is alternate bands of tiles and fishscale tiles. End quoins. Septagonal turret with blocked slit windows with tiled roof and modern wrought iron weathervane, The windows on the gable end are stone mullions. A C12 arched door leads to the old kitchens which have an old kitchen range with oven and iron spits. The Refectory above has a blocked in C16 fireplace, and original Refectory chairs and tables, together with a very fine late Mediaeval chest. The Chapel, Refectory Hall, Kitchen, section of wa11 to rear of Chapel and Nos 1 to 7 (consec) at St John's Hospital form a group.

Listing NGR: TR1515858333

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
439946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10017/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Didmon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].