Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260732.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:35:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Waverley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 94667 39698



8/256 Church of All 9/3/60 Saints


Church. Or nave, crossing tower and transepts c.1190, north chapel C14, north aisle and transept 1844 and partly 1890 by Aston Webb. Sandstone and chalk rubble, mortar rendered, limewashed on nave, with Bathstone and Bargate stone quoins and dressings. Snecked sandstone on vestry with plain tiled roofs and wood shingled needle spire under iron weathervane finial. Roughly cruciform plan, tower to east of centre, with C19 porch to north and gabled porch to south. Square tower of two stages separated by string course of half round section. Corbelled coped parapet with small obelisks at angles. Two-light louvred openings in each face of the upper stage. Two- light cusped trefoil head window to west on south side of nave, two-light window with lancet adjoining to east. Lancet windows on east and west sides of south transept with two-light window in south end under hood moulding. Lancet fenestration to south side of chancel, one with a shouldered head. Massive buttresses on piers to chancel. C15 east window of 3-lights with rectilinear tracery. Gabled brick and timber porch with arched door and heavy cusped bargeboards to north. Renewed tracery to C15 west window over ribbed and studded door in C15 surround with billet band and ogee crocketed panel niches above. Gabled porch to south with C15 cusped bargeboards - brought from another house. Attached jamb shafts with cushion capitals, plain abacus and small moulding. Dog tooth pattern impost band to round arched studded door. Interior:- Brick tile floors. Three bay C19 octagonal pier arcade with chamfered arches and moulded capitals. Braced collarbeam roof,cll9O, over transept with billet ornament on wall plates. Crossing arches - plain pointed in clunch with steeply chamfered imposts and narrow chamfers to piers. Octagonal flat panelled ceiling over with central boss. Panelled and vaulted arched chancel roof. Mosaic floor in chancel. Fittings:- C19 reredos of Alabaster. Piscina - 1350, with foliated head and aumbry over. C13 font, re-cut - octagonal on massive centre stem with encircling detached columns on lobed base. C15 heraldic glass. Wall paintings - C12 remains. Figures under round arches on south wall, the subjects coming from the life of the Virgin. Dated by Professor Tristram c1120 and one of a group done from Lewes Priory. C19 panelled pulpit. Monuments - Four pedimented white/grey stone panels with dark grey grounds on north chancel wall. Mid-C18 cartouche with cherub's head.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND - SURREY (1971) p.529-30. V.C.H. - Surrey (1967 ed) Vol. III pp.61-9.

Listing NGR: SU9466839705


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 61-9
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 529-30


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05531/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Karry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].