BUSH HILL SLUICE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1260895
Date first listed:
20-Mar-1990
Statutory Address:
BUSH HILL SLUICE, BUSH HILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUSH HILL SLUICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1260895 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:33:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUSH HILL SLUICE, BUSH HILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Enfield (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32686 95123

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

BUSH HILL ROAD TQ 3295 (EAST SIDE Off) 8/220 BUSH HILL SLUICE II

Sluice building to New River. 1796; probably by Robert Mylne, for the New River Company. Painted brick on stone arch; Welsh slate roof. Single cell, square on plan, straddling the watercourse. Pent porch on west side with 4-panel door; lunette window to south side (boarded up) and to north side, the latter with radial glazing bars and blind recess below. Hipped roof with spike finial. Interior not inspected.

From the sluice house sluice gates were operated to control the flow of water over the Bush Hill frame (q.v. Clarendon Arch and Tunnel 8/53). It is part of the works of the New River, founded 1613 by Sir Hugh Myddelton in order to bring a purer water supply to London. Another New River sluice building survives at Newnton Close, Hackney (q.v. Ivy House Sluice item 6/425).

Listing NGR: TQ3268695123

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
200829
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02958/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Berry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].