CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261717 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 21:37:10.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Melton (District Authority)
- Kirby Bellars
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 71789 18239
SK 71 NW FRISBY AND KIRBY MAIN STREET
Kirby Bellars (east side)
4/66 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. North aisle demolished 1690. Restored late C18 and 1820. Nave re-roofed and parapets added by Goddard & Paget, 1885. South aisle restored 1889 and re- roofed 1897. Coursed and squared ironstone and brick, with limestone ashlar dressings and copper, lead and slate roofs. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 4 stages, has moulded plinth and sill band, 3 string courses and eaves band with ballflower. To west, 2 corner buttresses, 5 setoffs. To north east, a single buttress. To south east, a buttressed octagonal stair turret with a light at each stage. First stage has to west, a C14 reticulated double lancet. Second stage has to west, C14 canopied niche and above it, 2 smaller niches. To north and south, an early C14 ogee double lancet. Third stage has to west, C14 ogee double lancet and flat head. To north and south, single lancets. Fourth stage has 4 paired C14 double lancet bell openings with shafts. Windows all have hood moulds with stops. Octagonal broach spire has finial and weathercock and 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes with double lancets. Nave north side, 3 bays, has2 but-trusses, that to east rebuilt C19. Off-centre moulded blocked C14 doorway flanked by single Decorated triple lancets and above the door, a reticulated double lancet all re- set. The doorway has a hood mould. Clerestory has moulded string course, parapet and coped east gable with cross. North side has 3 plain double lancets with flat heads and south side has 4 ogee double lancets with flat heads. Chancel, 2 bays, has coped east gable. North side has a slightly off-centre early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. To west, a small chamfered rectangular blocked window. East side has to north a C19 corner buttress and to south a late C18 brick corner buttress. Restored early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has to west a square blocked window and to its right, a chamfered restored C13 doorway. To east, a squat C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South aisle, 4 bays, has 2 corner buttresses and at east end, an additional pair of buttresses and a sill band. East end has a restored C14 cusped triple lancet with intersecting tracery and hood mould with stops. South side has to west, restored ogee triple lancet with flamboyant tracery, and to east a C15 transomed cusped double lancet. To east again, C14 ogee reticulated triple lancet. The 2 eastern lancets have hood moulds and mask stops. West end has a C19 Geometrical double lancet with hood mould. South porch, C14, has flanking buttresses, coped gable with kneelers and cross, and double chamfered and rebated doorway with hood mould. Interior has wood and stone benches, and C19 common rafter roof. C14 inner doorway has double filleted roll moulding, and C16 plank door and hinges. Double chamfered C14 tower arch has octagonal responds and mid C20 crested war memorial screen. Tower chamber has vault. Blocked north arcade, C14, 4 bays, has octagonal piers and west respond with moulded abaci, double chamfered and rebated arches with hood i:1.ould and mask stops. Central window has C1S stained glass fragments. South arcade, C13, 4 bays, has eastern pier with 4 large and 4 smaller filleted shafts with rings, and central square pier with 4 plain and 4 intermediate shafts. Remaining pier and responds are octagonal and have moulded abaci with nailhead and dogtooth bands. Chamfered and keeled moulded arches. Roof, 188S, has large arch braces with traceried spandrels, bosses and foliate and shield corbels. Chancel has C14 double chamfered arch with remains of hood mould, and round and octagonal shafts. Restored C15 traceried oak screen. To its left, chamfered C14 doorway. North side has to east, a pointed aumbry. East end has stained glass window by H. Harvey, 1980. South side has to east, coved C13 piscina and restored chamfered sedilia. Roof, restored 1820, has C1S billeted span beam. South aisle east end has moulded window opening with shafts. To its right, a small square aumbry and C14 crocketed ogee corner piscina. South side has to east, 2 C14 chamfered and moulded tomb recesses. Easternmost window has C15 stained glass fragments. West end window has flanking shafts and remains of stained glass, 1857, by Wailes. Roof, 1897, has arch braces. Fittings include C15 traceried bench end with poppyhead, and C18 chest. Panelled altar and reredos, 1898, and C19 desk and skeleton pulpit. Chairs, 1907. Late C20 octagonal font. Memorials include alabaster effigy c.1360, probably Sir Roger Beler II, and a similar effigy to one of his wives. Slate tablet, 1812.
Listing NGR: SK7178918239
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing