BUILDING ADJOINING GREEN COURT TO LEFT GATEWAY FROM COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1261721
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
BUILDING ADJOINING GREEN COURT TO LEFT, THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
Statutory Address:
GATEWAY FROM COURT, THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUILDING ADJOINING GREEN COURT TO LEFT
GATEWAY FROM COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261721.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 20:43:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUILDING ADJOINING GREEN COURT TO LEFT, THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
Statutory Address:
GATEWAY FROM COURT, THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 15118 58099

Details

1. 944 THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS

3.12.49. Gateway from Green Court. Building adjoining Green Court to left TR 1558 SW 3/16A

II GV

2. A C12 arch with a pedestrian and a carriage arch. Stone faced. The arch has some beautiful carving and capitals. Corbels. Above the arch are 2 blocked round-headed windows and 1 double mullioned and transomed window. One of the walls has graffiti carved by past generations of pupils at the King's School. The earliest is dated 1649. To the left is a 2 storeyed hall all that remains of the C12 north Hall. The ground floor is arcaded with groin vaults the lst floor has 9 arched window openings, The upper floor was rebuilt in 1843 by George Auster.

Nos 20 to 29A (consec), Pilgrim's or Pentise entry attached to No 29, wall in garden of No 29, wall and gatepiers between Nos 28 and 29, Gateway from Green Court and building adjoining to left, King's School Libraray and Normann Staircase form a group.



Listing NGR: TR1511858099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170567
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12791/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Collier. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].