WHITCHURCH BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1261775

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1995

Statutory Address: WHITCHURCH BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITCHURCH BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261775 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 18:14:31.

Location

Statutory Address: WHITCHURCH BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Whitchurch-on-Thames

National Grid Reference: SU 63616 76833

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added:- WHITCHURCH SU67NW Whitchurch Bridge 472-0/8/10003

GV II Road bridge over River Thames. 1902, to the designs of Joseph Morris; built by Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Company Ltd. Steel lattice-girder construction, offour spans; the three piers comprising pairs of steel posts, with diagonal bracing between, support the carriageway, which is on transverse beams and steel jack-arches. The parapets are the lattice-girders. Red brick abutments with stone dressings and terminal piers. NOTE: The first bridge was built in timber in 1792, by Act of Parliament, to the designs of John Treacher, surveyor to the Thames Commissioners. It was a toll bridge and its original tollhouse [qv] still exists. The bridge was rebuilt in wood in 1852 and again in 1902, in steel. SOURCES: [1] Colvin, H., A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1660-1840. [2] Company of Proprietors of Whitchurch Bridge, A Short History of Whitchurch Bridge, [08/01/1995].

Listing NGR: SU6361676833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436724

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954)
Company of Proprietors of Whitchurch Bridge, , A Short History of Whitchurch Bridge, (1995)

End of official listing