CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1261809
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261809.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:55:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Calne Without
National Grid Reference:
SU 02707 68166

Details

SU 06 NW CALNE WITHOUT CALSTONE WELLINGTON

6/33 Church of St. Mary

20.12.60

I

Anglican parish church, C15 restored 1885 by E. Christian. Squared rubble stone, stone slate roofs, coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with central north porch and corresponding south vestry, added 1885, and chancel. Two-stage tower with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses to front, 3-light Perpendicular style west window with hoodmould carried around tower sides as dripcourse, bell-stage above buttresses with dripcourses above and below and plain parapet. Small 2-light flat-head bell-openings with hoodmoulds. Small single light under west opening. Three- window nave with buttresses each end and 2 Perpendicular style flat-headed 3-light windows each side, flanking porch to north and vestry to south. Moulded plinth. North porch is ashlar with moulded plinth, coped gable and pointed north doorway. Original arch-braced collar trusses. Low Tudor-arched moulded doorway within with hoodmould and oak plank door. Small statue niche over. A similar south door is within 1885 vestry. Porch walls are covered in C17 and C18 graffiti. Affixed to outside north wall of nave, wall-plaque to R. Rogers died 1789. Chancel has side buttresses and one 2-light and one 3-light flat-headed window with hoodmould each side. Segmental-pointed 3-light east window with hoodmould. Little altered interior with original segmental-pointed boarded wagon roof with moulded ribs, carved bosses and 2 moulded tie-beams. Moulded wall-plate. Moulded tower and chancel arches. Evidence of rood stair and loft by pulpit on north side. Chancel roof 1885 to match nave roof. Aumbries and piscina in chancel walls. C18 altar rails. Early C20 oak reredos and 1885 oak altar table. East window stained glass 1889. Some C15 fragments in south window. On chancel north wall memorial to M. Heath died 1780, on south wall memorial to H. Baily died 1783. Stalls, pews and pulpit 1885. In nave, over chancel arch painted Royal Arms of 1740. Black stone floor slab to Michell family, first date 1637. Gadrooned stone font c1740. (A.E.W. Marsh, A. History of the Borough and Town of Calne, 1903, 270-2)

Listing NGR: SU0270768166

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436603
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marsh, A E W, A History of the Borough and Town of Calne, (1903), 270-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/05235/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].