WATER TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1261882
Date first listed:
14-Aug-1992
Statutory Address:
WATER TOWER, HEAPHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATER TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:19:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
WATER TOWER, HEAPHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Gainsborough
National Grid Reference:
SK 82095 90066

Details

The following building shall be added:

GAINSBOROUGH HEAPHAM ROAD SK 89 SW 910-0/10/10001 Water Tower - II

Water tower. 1897-8. Engineer Henry Riley. Red brick with yellow brick panels, some sandstone dressings, iron-framed windows, and lead roof. Hexagonal plan. Built against a reservoir embankment, with 4 storeys plus a semi-basement storey accessible through a doorway on the east side. 4 of the sides have narrow round-arched windows to their ground and 1st floors, set within yellow brick panels and with arches of rubbed red bricks. The rear side is similar but has a ground-floor doorway with shouldered lintel. The front side, facing north-east, has a round window at 1st floor level. At ground-floor level there is a marble plaque with pedimented sandstone surround. Its inscription records that construction of the tower and reservoir was commenced by the Urban District Council of Gainsborough in 1897 and lists the names of members of the council, the clerk, engineer, and contractor. The 3rd and 4th storeys are separated by a sandstone cornice with Lombard frieze. Below the frieze on the front side the 3rd storey, which is otherwise blank, has 2 round-arched windows with a sandstone surround, transom, and brick apron. The upper storey has 2 round-arched windows to each side, separated by sandstone pilasters. The 6-sided lead roof has a crowsnest with iron railings and a flagpole.

Listing NGR: SK8209590066

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355302
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/07235/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].