CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1262125
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262125 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 01:17:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Brent (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 23125 85903

Details

The following building shall be added:

TQ 28 NW ST. MICHAEL'S ROAD

935-/2/10015 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

II

Church. Designed 1908 by John Samuel Alder; built 1909-10. Limestone and Bath stone; red-tiled roof Late Decorated style with Perpendicular features. Nave of 6 bays with aisles and clerestory; base of tower (unbuilt) at north-west corner. 3-bay chancel, transept and Lady Chapel on the north side; transept and vestries on south side. Aisles are divided into bays by buttresses; each bay has a 4-light window with varying moulded and cusped tracery designs. Single light window in each eastern bay. West bay of south aisle forms porch with richly moulded doorway under a gable facing west. West elevation of nave : large window of 7 lights grouped 2-3-2 with elaborate flowing tracery above, flanked by gabletted buttresses. Three-sided apse with 2-light windows housing baptistery below west window. Clerestory: 3-light traceried windows in each bay, except at west end near base of tower. Chancel: lower than nave , with angle buttresses terminating in gablets at the corners. East end: large 5-light east window 2-1-2 with Decorated tracery. Circular window with trefoiled tracery in gable. Between chancel and north transept, small Lady Chapel, 2-bays with semi-circular apse. Bays divided by buttresses; each has a 2-light window. South side: vestries have plain walls without buttresses and simple rectangular windows. INTERIOR. Arcades of 6 bays with quatrefoil pillars on moulded bases. Shafts rise from the springing of the arches to carry the principals of the panelled timber vaults. Aisle windows have flattened pointed arches. Chancel arch spanned by fine wooden screen. Chancel floor raised 2 steps higher than the nave. Paved with squares of green and white marble. Chancel is of3 bays, each bay pierced by a richly moulded arch. Two eastern bays are equal in width with 2-light clerestory window in each; west bay wider with large arch opening into transepts and stone blind arcading on the wall above. Apsidal Lady Chapel: vaulted timber roofsplayed at east end; sanctuary floor paved in green and white marble. FITTINGS. Altar, oak with panelled and traceried front c. 1910. Reredos, oak with central niche containing carving of the Ascension flanked by two pairs of cinquefoiled ogee-headed niches and an outer pair of canopied niches c.1910, carved stalls of same date. Pulpit octagonal design in oak with small buttresses at the angles and open traceried arches in each face, 1910. Screen 1928, and lectern 1929 both by F.E.Howard. Oak screen to Lady Chapel, 1921. Font: small stone font of octagonal design dating from 1891 which came from St Thomas Charterhouse when that church was demolished in 1909. Organ: JW Walker 1931 with woodwork front period 1910-13. The stained glass dates from the 1920s and '30s, of particular note is the east window depicting 'Our Lord In Glory above the New Jerusalem' by J.C. Bewsey c.1928. inside, in particular, the repetition of round-arched forms. The directness is intended to refer to auster and mendicant life and work of St. Francis of Assisi.

Listing NGR: TQ2312585903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435856
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].