This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE VIADUCT PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE VIADUCT PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1262465

Location

THE VIADUCT PUBLIC HOUSE, 126, NEWGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Apr-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434923

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWGATE STREET TQ 3181 8/502 No 126 (The Viaduct Public House)

II GV

Public House. 1874-5; interior remodelled 1898-1900 by Arthur Dixon. Granite to ground floor; upper floor of gault brick with painted stone dressings; slate mansard roof; brick end stacks with moulded stone cornices. Curved corner site. Italianate style. 4-storeys; 6-window range with additional bay to ground floor. Ground floor articulated by grey and red granite piers with festooned Ionic capitals to red granite frieze with moulded grey cornices: three doorways with half-glazed double door set in recessed lobbies with bracketed semicircular arched arches to outer bays, all having relief carving in Flemish Renaissance style with Medallion portraits to spandrels of outer arches; 3-light plate-glass windows with similar relief craving to mullions and transoms. Plate-glass sashes to upper-floor windows set in raised architraves: relief-carved friezes and bracketed cornices to first-floor windows pedimental second-floor windows, and relief-carved frieze over third-floor windows divided by pilasters with foliate capitals; dentilled cornice; moulded cornices to dormer windows. Interior: good ground-floor bar interior, quadrant-shaped, with many original fittings, including cut and etched glass panels to fine Jacobethan-style counter and semicircular arched hood set in front of rear doorway with relief-carved panels; arcaded panelling to bar. Marbled wood piers to enriched plaster frieze with cherub heads, shell-coved cornice and strapwork ceiling. Wall to right has tall mirrors alternating with three fine paintings of Pre-Raphaelite style women by Hal, 1898-1900, all set in cream, green and orange marble and alabaster architraves. Included for its fine pub interior, particularly the exceptional paintings.

Listing NGR: TQ3181081421

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31813 81417

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 01:38:30.

End of official listing