CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1262746
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262746.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:07:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Keevil
National Grid Reference:
ST 91765 57982

Details

KEEVIL MAIN STREET ST 95 NW (off south side) 7/139 Church of St Leonard 11.9.68 GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13, C15 and early C16, 1860s and c1910 restorations. Limestone ashlar, stone slate chancel roof, lead nave. Plan: west tower, south aisle and nave, chancel and north chapel, north and south porches. North porch is gabled with moulded pointed doorway, string course, coped verge. North side of nave has 3-light Perpendicular window either side of porch, buttresses carried up to crocketed pinnacles above battlemented parapet, second gabled porch to left and 3-light Perpendicular window to left, square sanctus bellcote on east gable end of nave. Chancel has Tudor-arched priest's door with hoodmould, moulded lancet to right and 2-light Perpendicular window to left, diagonal buttresses to east end, 3-light Perpendicular east window, C18 wall tablet to left, south side has lancet and 2-light Perpendicular window. Cast-iron rainwater heads dated 1867. Early C16 south aisle has blind east wall, three 3-light Perpendicular windows, buttresses carried up to crocketed pinnacles on south side, blocked doorway to gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet with gargoyles, blocked west window. Three stage west tower with low C19 porch with original Tudor-arched doorway within, set back buttresses and string courses, middle stage has arrowloops, bellstage has 3-light Perpendicular windows with pierced stone louvres, cornice with gargoyles to battlemented. parapet polygonal stair turret with arrowloops on south east corner. Interior: Five-bay tie-beam roof to nave with moulded beams and cusping between struts, panelled roof with bosses. Tall moulded tower arch with C20 wooden screen, 1715 Royal Arms hung in tower. Three bay south aisle with additional chapel bay at east end, moulded pointed arches on piers, cusped piscina on south wall at east end. North chapel with same mouldings as south chapel, head of Tudor-arched doorway to former rood loft stairs on east wall. Moulded pointed chancel arch same as chapel arches, early C20 traceried screen. C19 four-bay chancel ceiling, barrel-vaulted with moulded ribs, C19 panelled stone reredos with mosaics of Four Evangelists and St Leonard and St Aldhelm, C19 communion rail. Other fittings: C19 stone polygonal pulpit, C15 octagonal font bowl on pier with four shafts by north door; 1909-10 seating. Some good C19 stained C19 glass in chancel and chapels, unsigned. Monuments: C17 and C18 tablets in-chancel include pedimented tablet with heraldic arms and volutes to John Harris died 1657. Several C18 tablets in north chapel to Beach family of Keevil Manor (q.v.), north wall tablets include cartouches to William Gaisford died 1754 and marble tablet by Ford of Bath to Jane Talbot died 1768. Large marble tablet in south chapel to Edward Blagdon died 1750. Several small brass plaques in church, such as one in north chapel to Elizabeth Gaisford died 1720. Large benefactions board dated 1852 on north wall of nave, gifts of George Tayler. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; J.N. d'Arcy, Church Guide)

Listing NGR: ST9176557982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434185
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
D'Arcy, JN , Church Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].