Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262941.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 00:01:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28878 45151


ARTHINGTON ARTHINGTON LANE SE 24 NE LS21 (north side) 2/89 The Nunnery (Formerly 6th February 1952 listed as "Arthington Nunnery") GV II*

House, incorporating some fabric of former nunnery. Dated 1585 in spandrel of door; altered and restored. Coursed squared sandstone with quoins, stone slate roof. T-plan formed by 3-unit front range with continuous outshut and short rear wing. Three storeys; main chimney stack at junction of 1st and 2nd bays, and slightly to the left of this a moulded Tudor-arched outer doorway with shields in the spandrels inscribed: " T : B " (left) and " I : B " (right); 1585 above this doorway a shallow canted oriel rising through 2 storeys, with recessed mullioned windows of 1 + 3 + 1 lights on each level; to the left, similar mullioned windows of 5 lights on each floor; to the right king- mull ion windows of 5 + 5 and 4 + 4 lights on each floor, and in addition a small light on each upper floor in line with the chimney stack (stair windows: see below). Large chimney stack on ridge with 2 diagonal flues, another diagonal chimney to an external stack at the right hand gable; gable copings, with apex finial on left gable. The left return wall has a 5-light window on each floor of the main range, a 2-and a 3-light window to the outshut, and a single-light window near the apex. The right-hand wall has 2-light windows on each floor forward of the external chimney stack, and to the rear 5, 3 and 1-light windows. Rear mostly altered.

Interior: massive round-headed doorways at the front and rear of the 1st bay in line with the front door, indicating former through-passage; similar archway through rear of stack between 1st and 2nd units; in centre room, a very large Tudor-arched fireplace with chamfered surround (this room formerly single-storey, now open to 1st storey, and gallery inserted); at 1st floor level of this part, a Tudor-arched chamber fireplace, and close to the front wall an altered doorway opening onto a spiral stone staircase which rises to the 2nd floor, and formerly higher (probably remains of tower of nunnery); moulded plaster ceiling decoration in parlour in 3rd room at ground floor; in rear wall at 2nd floor, 2 Tudor-arched doorways (one blocked) which appear to have been formerly external.

Listing NGR: SE2887845151


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01999/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew Crompton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].