CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1263108
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263108.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:54:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Swallowcliffe
National Grid Reference:
ST 96368 27115

Details

ST 92 NE SWALLOWCLIFFE CHURCH HILL (north side)

3/137 Church of St. Peter

6.1.66

GV II*

Anglican parish church. 1842-43 by G. G. Scott and W. B. Moffatt. Limestone ashlar and dressed stone, tiled roofs. Plan: nave, south and north aisles, south tower over entrance, south transept, chancel. Neo-Norman. Double-chamfered round-arched doorway with scalloped capitals to shafts and hoodmould, on south side of 3- stage tower. Tower has angle buttresses, string courses and single round-arched window with pair of shafts to second stage, bellstage has 2-light round-arched louvred opening with attached shafts, Lombard frieze below corbel table to battlemented parapet. Square stair turret in east angle has cylindrical upper stage with conical roof. South transept has angle buttresses, round-arched window with shafts and round-arched niche over, east window of transept has round-arched window with hoodmould, corbel table to eaves, coped verge to gabled front. Chancel has 3 round-arched lancets with hoodmoulds to south and north sides, corbel tables to eaves, east end has angle buttresses and group of 3 round-arched windows with attached shafts supporting hoodmoulds. North aisle has 4 round-arched windows with hoodmoulds, intermediate pilaster buttresses, corbel table to eaves of nave roof. West end of nave has round-arched window flanked by blind arches with attached shafts, and hoodmoulds, niche over with shafts, aisles have one round-arched west window. South side of south aisle to left of tower has one round-arched window with hoodmould. Interior: Porch at base of tower has chamfered round-arched inner doorway with attached shafts, east wall has chamfered shouldered doorway to stairs, west side has 3 open round-arches on columns to recess containing recumbent C14 knight, Sir Thomas West, brought from earlier church in village. Four-bay nave has braced king-post tie-beam roof with arch-braced collar trusses to half-bays. North aisle has arcade of 4 roll-moulded round arches on cylindrical piers with transitional-style capitals, south aisle has 4 round arches on octagonal piers with scrolled floral carved capitals. Lean-to aisle roofs. Flagstone floors throughout. South transept has 3-bay arch-braced collar roof, contains vestry and organ. Roll-moulded chancel arch on stylised stiff-leaf corbels, plain 3- bay arch-braced collar roof on stone corbels. Fine Neo-Norman cylindrical font with interlaced round-arches on shafts, at west end. Stone Neo-Norman pulpit with 4 open arches, readers desk has 2 open arches. Small C18 font with octagonal pedestal in north aisle. C19 pews in nave. Some good glass; west window depicting the Baptism of Christ, by H. Hughes of London, 1981, fine south transept glass to Rev. J. H. Samler, died 1882, glass in east window to Sidney Lord Herbert died 1877. Built at cost of £1260, to replace a Medieval Church beside the stream. (Church and Parish Guide by Cmdr. S. Jenkins; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST9636827115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320363
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jenkins, S, Church of St Peter Church and Parish Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06368/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].