OLD FIRE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1263240
Date first listed:
15-Feb-1993
Statutory Address:
OLD FIRE STATION, 2A, NORWOOD HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD FIRE STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263240 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 20:14:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD FIRE STATION, 2A, NORWOOD HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lambeth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31968 72034

Details

TQ 3172 NORWOOD HIGH STREET

963-/31/10011 No 2A (Old Fire Station)

II

Theatre centre, formerly fire station. Built in 1881 and designed by the Metropolitan Board of Works Architect's Department, probably by Robert Pearsall in Gothic style. Red brick in Flemish bond and tiled roof. 3 storeys and attics 8 windows. 4 tall ribbed brick chimneystacks. Attic storey has 4 gables with stone kneelers with 2 paired 8 pane sashes to ends and 2 single 8 pane sashes to centre. Stone band below with corbels. 2nd floor has 8 8-pane sashes. 1st floor has 8 similar sashes with arched lintels interrupting moulded terracotta band. Ground floor has triple 8-pane windows on each side under drip mould. Centre has projecting porch with gable surmounted by finial in centre and finials at sides and 2 wide doors below with 4 colonnettes inserted in sides. The principal feature of the building is a tall octagonal watch tower at the right side of the building with corbelling and lancet windows. Interior has wooden staircase with stick balusters. In 1913 this fire station housed a station officer, nine firemen, two coachmen, 2 pairs of horses, one horsed fire engine, one horsed escape, one manual escape and one hose cart. Shortly afterwards it became redundant, being replaced by the station further north in Norwood Road.

Listing NGR: TQ3196872034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
432909
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00924/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].