CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1263780
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263780.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:42:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brandesburton
National Grid Reference:
TA 11946 47645

Details

TA 14 NW BRANDESBURTON MAIN STREET (north side)

5/16 Church of Saint Mary 16.12.66 - I

Church. C12 chancel, C13 nave aisles and west tower, late C14 south porch. Restored 1892 by W.S. Weatherley. Coursed cobbles, late mediaeval red brick, stone dressings, tiled roofs. West tower, 5-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. West tower: 3 stages with chamfered plinth and off-sets and diagonal buttresses. C19 window with ogee tracery to second stage, paired lancets in square-headed opening to belfry. Crenellated parapet. West window of paired lancets in square-headed opening beneath ogee-headed niche. Nave: chamfered plinth and string course. Three 3-light pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery to south aisle; three 2- light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery to clerestory. Pointed south door with continuous chamfer and hoodmould. Porch: diagonal buttresses, 4-centred arch to doorway, quatrefoil openings to east and west walls. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Chancel: 3-light square-headed window with cusped ogee tracery to west, two 3-light 4-centred windows with C19 tracery in Perpendicular style to east. Chamfered round-headed priests' door with chamfered imposts and continuous hoodmould. East end: dwarf buttress beneath pointed 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. One surviving lancet to north wall. Remains of earlier gable against nave east gable: coped, with brattished finial. Interior: quadruple-chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds. Nave: C13 north and south arcades with waterholding bases, cylindrical piers (one octagonal to north) and round abaci suppporting pointed double-chamfered arches. Ogee headed piscina to south aisle wall. C15 chancel arch. Chancel: squint to north vestry beneath blocked lancet. Aumbries to north, south, and east walls. Remains of niche with crocketed ogee canopy to north wall. Brasses to William Darrell, Rector, died 1364, and to Sir John de St. Quintin, died 1397, and his wife. Wall monument to Reverend Charles Richardson died 1755: inscription in architrave under broken pediment with coat of arms. Octagonal font reset on C19 octagonal column and base. Much C12 carved stone incorporated in late C19 repairs and alterations to west tower.

Listing NGR: TA1194247643

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431476
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10358/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].