CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1263782
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263782.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:40:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hatfield
National Grid Reference:
TA 18529 44821

Details

TA 14 SE HATFIELD GOXHILL

9/22 Church of Saint Giles

GV II

Church. Rebuilt, 1840. Ashlar to south side of nave and chancel, brick and cobbles, rendered, elsewhere. Slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, l-bay chancel with polygonal apse. West tower: 3 stages with plinth and pilaster buttresses. Pointed belfry openings with hoodmoulds. Boarded west door in pointed opening with hoodmould under plaque with inscription: THIS CHURCH WAS REBUILT 1840 Nave: Three 2-light pointed windows with Y-tracery under hoodmoulds. Oversailing eaves. Chancel: 3-light pointed east window with intersecting tracery under hoodmould. Oversailing eaves. Interior: nave: C12 tub font, much repaired, with incised interlace and roundels with wheels. C15 piscina (re-erected at west end), with coat of arms of de Lellay family, under ogee canopy. Floor-tablet with coat of arms and inscription to Marmaduke Constable of Wassand died 1690. Chancel: floor-slab to Radulph and Joanna de Lellay (died C14): reclining female figure at prayer beneath triple ogee arcade.

Listing NGR: TA1852944821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431482
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08434/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].