WORCESTER AND BIRMINGHAM CANAL, CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 100 METRES WEST SOUTH WEST OF LOCK 58

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1263820

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1992

Statutory Address: WORCESTER AND BIRMINGHAM CANAL, CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 100 METRES WEST SOUTH WEST OF LOCK 58

Map

Ordnance survey map of WORCESTER AND BIRMINGHAM CANAL, CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 100 METRES WEST SOUTH WEST OF LOCK 58
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263820 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:07:04.

Location

Statutory Address: WORCESTER AND BIRMINGHAM CANAL, CANAL BRIDGE ABOUT 100 METRES WEST SOUTH WEST OF LOCK 58

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Bromsgrove (District Authority)

Parish: Tutnall and Cobley

National Grid Reference: SO 99275 69234

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 96 NE TUTNALL AND COBLEY WORCESTER AND BIRMINGHAM CANAL TARDEBIGGE

1655-/9/10003 Canal Bridge about 100 metres W.S.W.of Lock 58

GV II

Canal accommodation bridge. Circa 1812-13. English bond red brick with sandstone coping to parapets and sandstone responds to arch. Semi-elliptical arch with plat band above and pilasters at ends of parapets. Minor repairs in blue brick to parapet. NOTE: The Worcester and Birmingham Canal was authorised in 1791. With Thomas Cartwright as the engineer work began at the Birmingham end in 1795 and completed to Tardebigge in 1807. In 1809 Cartwright was replaced by John Woodhouse, who built a lift instead of the proposed flight of locks. Trials for the lift started in 1810, but it was abandoned in favour of the locks on Rennie's advice. In 1812 construction commenced on this section of the canal and the Tardebigge flight of locks (q.v.). SOURCE: Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, PP135- 146.

Listing NGR: SO9927569234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355195

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 135-146

End of official listing