WEST MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1264043
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
WEST MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264043.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:37:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whalton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 13200 81447

Details

WHALTON WHALTON VILLAGE NZ 1381 (North side) 12/164 West Manor House GV II* House, dated 1729 with initials I:R on lintel, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Alterations 1908-9 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Mrs. Eustace Smith, when the house was incorporated in the Manor House (q.v.); it is now a separate tenancy. Squared stone (except for rubble in ground floor left return), cut dressings; stone slate roof.

2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical, chamfered plinth. Central 6-panel door with overlight in wave-moulded raised stone surround with shaped lintel top; 12-pane sash windows with raised lintels and stepped keystones. Coped left gable on moulded kneelers; stepped-and-corniced end stacks. Left return shows two 4-pane attic casements. Rear elevation shows twin projecting wings, that to right extended by Lutyens.

Interior: some contemporary fireplaces with later ironwork. Panelled shutters, transverse ceiling beam in sitting room with swelled chamfer stops of C17 type. Dog-leg open-string stair up to attic; urn-on-vase balusters, moulded, ramped and wreathed handrail, moulded newel post at base, shaped tread ends. Roof structure of collar-beam trusses with overlapped apices carrying ridge, the joints nailed rather than pegged.

Prior to the 1908-9 alterations known as the Mansion House; the present dwelling includes one bay of Lutyens' link block; for description see Manor House (q.v.).

Listing NGR: NZ1320081447

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428836
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00974/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].