Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1264065
Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address: OGLE CASTLE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264065 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 09:58:45.
Statutory Address: OGLE CASTLE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NZ 14054 79077
NZ 17 NW
6/151 Ogle Castle
House, probably hall block of former castle. Main block an early C16 remodelling
of medieval fabric; west wing a C16 addition; mid C20 restoration and minor
additions. Main block squared stone, wing large rubble; cut dressings; stone
slate roof. L-plan.
South elevation in 2 sections: main block 2 storeys, 4 bays, irregular: studded door in chamfered surround with hoodmould; two 3-light windows on left and one on right. 2-light windows above. Sundial above left of door inscribed 1717, SK. All windows leaded casements in double-chamfered surrounds, some renewed, with 4-centred-arched lights and hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds. Right-gable coped, with stepped-and-corniced stack; double stack on ridge. Slightly-projecting cross-gabled 3-storey left bay: similar 3-light windows, the upper transomed, and smaller 2-light window on 2nd floor. Left return of wing shows projecting stack with corbelled-out projection on left; scattered fenestration, mostly C20; 2-storey C20 bay on far left.
Rear elevation of main block shows C16 1st-floor windows of two 4-centred-arched lights to either side of small C20 stair wing. Inner return of wing on right shows two old 2-light windows, the upper lacking its mullion.
Interior: Dining room (hall) has large fireplace with moulded surround partly cut away; sitting room (kitchen) has large segmental-arched fireplace with rounded arris. Oak room in wing has smaller fireplace in moulded surround re-set from 1st floor. Contemporary ceilings with hollow stop-chamfered beams and grooved joists. Several doorways with chamfered surrounds; doorways and windows show segmental rear arches. Pair of 2-centred-arched doorways where north wall joins wing; one with chamfered arch, another, blocked, with stepped arch. Segmental arch above carried newel stair starting from 1st floor, where part of stairwell and 2 square-headed doorways remain. Smaller C16 fireplaces on 1st floor. Roof of main block shows 7 principal-rafter trusses with collars, perhaps re-set, and chamfered single-light window now opening into roof of wing.
Historical Note. The house may have been the main hall of a castle with curtain wall and half-round towers. Licence to crenellate granted to Robert de Ogle 1341. Hutchinson in 1776 records the remains of a circular tower to east of the house, demolished when gable end rebuilt and farm buildings added.
C20 extensions on north are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1405479077
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 428716
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing