Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264167.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:25:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 50212 16879



14/57 Church of St. Peter 11.8.51

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C14 base of west tower. Remainder of late C14 comprising nave, aisles and chancel. Restored 1898. Ashlar with lead roofs. 4 stage tower, externally of 3 stages. Angle buttresses with polygonal stair turret to south-west. Arched west door with undercut mouldings below string course. 2-light arched west window of early C14. In buttresses to right and left one trefoiled statuary niche. Lancets to ringing chamber. String course below 2-light transomed belfry windows. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Aisles with stepped side buttresses, angled at corners. 3-light aisle windows with embattled transoms and rising supermullions, 4-light to east and west ends. Crenellated parapets to aisles and clerestory, all with panelling and corbel tables, the latter studded at intervals with animal head gargoyles. 2-light closely set clerestory windows under stilted arches, each window separated by stepped pilasters of such- weight as to appear as flat buttresses. Elaborate 2 storey early C15 south porch with stepped side buttresses and angle buttresses to south face. Heads of buttresses gabled. 4-centred arched opening below square hood, the spandrels with punched roundels containing coats of arms. Above is frieze containing 9 bay arcade of cusped arches also with heraldic devices. 3-light window lights upper room and is flanked by canopied statuary niches to right and left. Crenellated parapet with panelled arcading obscures gabled roof. 2 2-light side windows to each storey. Vault of porch in 2 bays with moulded tierceron ribs, the bosses carved with religious scenes and animal and figurative motifs. Inner south door arched and moulded. Original double timber doors with tiers of carved arcading. Simple north gabled porch with crenellated parapet. Square corner pinnacles with crockets. Diagonal buttressing and one window to east and west faces. Polygonal rood stair turrets to nave east wall with roll moulded edges and spirelets. Bell cote at gable head. 5 bay chancel with stepped buttresses, angled to east. 3-light arched Perpendicular windows stepping up to east end. Crenellated parapet with panelled arcading. Over east buttresses a square pinnacle. 7-light east window. Beneath east bay of chancel a vaulted passageway in shape of a depressed 4-centred arch. 2 bay tierceron vault with bosses of foliage and some figurative carving. Interior. 7 bay arcade of quatrefoil piers on moulded polygonal bases and with polygonal moulded capitals. The piers have fillets to the cardinal points. Arches of roll mouldings. Nave roof of moulded tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to head corbels. Moulded curved Queen struts rise to moulded principals. One tier butt purlins and ridge piece. North aisle roof of alternating large and small arched braces to principals. 2 tiers butt purlins. South aisle roof 1812. Stilted tower arch with double hollow chamfers. Internal corbels carved with grotesque figures. C17 timber screen extends across nave and aisles at west end. 3 doorways with pediments. Arched leaf trail panelling runs below openwork balustrade of turned shafts in turn below frieze of continuous circles with floral patterns. Early C17 tower gallery with turned balusters. Roll moulded chancel arch on circular responds. Ogee headed doorways to rood stairs. Dado of C15 rood screen survives in 6 bays right and left of central opening, each bay with painted figures of saints and apostles. South chancel arch pier with 3-light arched window from rood stairs looking down into chancel. Chancel dado of cinquefoil roll moulded arcade, each bay of which has miniture rib vault. String course runs beneath chancel windows. Between each window a nodding ogee canopy with pierced arcading sits above a statuary niche. Shallow niche to right and left of east window also with canopy. Stepped sedilia and piscina in south wall with mutilated rib vaulted canopies. Plain 1812 chancel roof of 2 tiers butt purlins intersecting with principals on arched braces. Several chancel stalls survive with poppyhead ends, animal arm rests and misericords. One particularly fine misericord with pelican pecking its own breast. Beneath a canopied niche on south chancel wall a monument to Robert Butler 1632. Marble with inscription panel predella below effigy of Robert Butler kneeling before altar. Pair of Composite columns support carved entablature. Nave with fine set of C18 box pews and C17 benches. In south aisle 3 tiers of benches largely made of fragments of different periods. Pierced C15 bench backs inserted into C17 poppyhead bench ends or vice versa. Evidence of C19 restoration. Fine hexagonal pulpit dated 1620 standing on slender timber stem. Panelled sides with arcaded bottom rail. Fielded diamond panels below upper arched panels, the arches enriched by foliage carving. Moulded cornice. Curving stairs bend round nave pier against which pulpit is erected. Above is tester with frieze and drop pendants. Octagonal font dated 1532 with stem and bowl carved with ogee headed panels. Early C17 timber rim buffet font cover in 3 stages. Console lower rail. Centre stage of paired carved pilasters framing arcaded panels. Tapering pinnacle with strapwork cornice below pierced arabesque work. C15 parclose screen between south aisle and south nave chapel. 5 bays with ogee tracery heads each of 2 subsidiary lights. 4 tracery arches in each dado bay. Chandelier in nave 1701. Brass. Central shaft of ball and baluster turnings terminating in globe and ball pendant. 2 tiers of opposing curved circular section arms. Poor box stands on turned baluster, the box inscribed on 3 sides : Remember the Poore 1639.

Listing NGR: TF5021216879


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02126/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].