CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1264202
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264202.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:59:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Tilney All Saints
National Grid Reference:
TF 56837 17973

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/06/2017

TF 5617, 13/32

TILNEY ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD, Church of All Saints

11.08.51

G.V.

I

Parish church. Late C12 nave and chancel, late C13 and C14 west tower, spire 1428. Nave and chancel aisles remodelled C15. Battlements added 1523-1525. Barnack stone, partly rendered. 4-stage tower. Angle buttresses develop out of polygonal corner turrets which terminate above crenellated parapet in crocketted pinnacles. West door of four orders undercut mouldings below ogeed hood. West window of three pointed lancets, each separated by pilaster strips. Similar fenestration to north and south but with blind central light. 2-light ogeed reticulated ringing chamber windows and 2-light belfry windows of mouchette form. String courses divide storeys. Octagonal spire with gabled lucarnes at base on alternate facets. Stepped buttresses to nave. Nave and chancel continuous. South aisle with one 5-light square-headed window and one 3-light arched Perpendicular window west of porch. East of porch six straight-headed windows of 3 or 4 cusped lights run to chancel east end. Two sloping brick C18 buttresses at intervals. Nave and chancel aisles parapeted. South clerestory windows run as follows from west : encircled quatrefoil, two 2-light square headed windows, three 3-light depressed arched C15 windows, in chancel three 3-light square-headed windows. Gabled south porch with stepped side buttresses. Arched outer door. One blocked triangular-headed side window north and south. Late C13 inner doorway with column supporting naturalistic foliage carving. East end of aisles without windows. Two flat clasping buttresses of C12 date frame 5-light transomed C15 east window. Diagonal buttresses at aisles and flat stepped north buttresses. Two eastern north aisle, windows of 3-lights and cusped early Perpendicular tracery. These separated by large sloping C18 brick buttress. Remainder of aisle of 3-light arched panel tracery windows. Early C14 north door below plain 2-light square-headed window. Clerestory of 2-light square headed form.

INTERIOR. C13 tower connected to nave by one C14 bay with double chamfered arch. Tower arch of quatrefoil piers with moulded circular bases and capitals supporting arch of two hollow chamfers separated by a roll. Stilted west door arch. Two roll-moulded stairway arches in thickness of western buttresses. West window lights shafted on interior with wall passage. Ringing chamber floor survives. Late C12 7-bay arcade (extending 2 bays into chancel) of drum piers on water-holding bases with waterleaf, scalloped or crocket capitals support rebated semi-circular arches. Remarkable late C15 hammerbeam roof with two registers of hammers. Alternate trusses drop on wall posts to corbels in form of angels bearing scrolls. These angels immediately below statues of prophets in canopied niches. Curved arched braces rise to wall plate. Secondary trusses have hammer beams carved as angels with open books, main trusses have angels bearing tablets. Upper, false, hammer beams with flight of winged angels bearing books and tablets. One tier moulded butt purlins, moulded collars with struts to ridge piece. C19 chancel hammerbeam roof with angels bearing shields. Moulded purlins, principals and collars are C15 survivals. C15 stepped sedilia in chancel south wall with cusped ogee heads to each bay below cornice. Cornice continues east over similar piscina. Two blocked chancel windows on each side. Chancel screen dated 1618. Two bays right and left of opening. Panelled dado with top freize of scroll decoration. Pierced foliate heads to lights. Top rail surmounted by paired balusters alternating with panelled obelisks. Below these a freize of fretwork and dragons. 4-bay late C15 parclose screens to chancel aisles with Perpendicular tracery and crenellated top rails. Handsome C17 altar rails of arched bays divided by muntins against which are turned balusters. Arches filled with circular and scrolled strapwork pierced panels. C17 octagonal font with traceried stem and bowl decorated with alternating biblical verses and geometric patterns. Painted Royal Arms to Queen Anne date 1711 at west end of south aisle within original frame. The frame with openwork obelisks.

Listing NGR: TF5683717973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428440
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02119/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].