DISUSED WINDMILL AT NGR SJ 56652 29724

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1264219
Date first listed:
16-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
DISUSED WINDMILL AT NGR SJ 56652 29724

Map

Ordnance survey map of DISUSED WINDMILL AT NGR SJ 56652 29724
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1264219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 18:09:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
DISUSED WINDMILL AT NGR SJ 56652 29724

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Weston-under-Redcastle
National Grid Reference:
SJ5665529726

Details

In the entry for

WESTON-UNDER-REDCASTLE CP HAWKSTONE PARK

16/179

Disused windmill at NGR SJ 56652 29724

The grade shall be amended to read: II* (star)

------------------------------------

WESTON-UNDER-REDCASTLE C.P. HAWKSTONE PARK

SJ 5629-5729 SJ 56652-29724 16/179

Disused windmill at N.G.R. SJ 56652 29724

II

Windmill, now disused. Late C18. Red brick tower mill with cap missing. Circular plan, battered to top. 5 levels with 2 rectangular doorways and 3 square window openings placed directly one above the other. Retains shaft for sails and gearing for fantail to rear. Interior: floors largely gone but retains heavy floor beams and joists. Massive main shaft, wallower, brake wheel and other equipment. Mill stone (not in situ) on ground floor. The mill, which stands towards the south end of the Hawk Lake, was used to extract linseed oil to make cake for feeding cattle and to crush bones for manure. Formerly brightly painted, it combined with Neptune's Whim, a now demolished Dutch-style cottage, to create a picturesque impression. C.L. (June 10, 1958) p.72.

Listing NGR: SJ5665529726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428341
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in June 10, (1958), 72
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06698/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. David Lowe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].